Telstra has teamed up with the Alannah & Madeline Foundation to release safety tips and resources in the lead-up to Christmas.
Tips for parents
1. Decide when the time is right: There is no ‘right’ age — purpose, need and responsibility are a better guide.
2. Establish a written usage agreement: Telstra’s ‘My First Mobile Agreement’ outlines some basic ground rules for your kids to follow.
3. Make the most of parental controls: Parental controls tools allow you to set time-of-day restrictions on children’s device usage.
4. Protect your bank account: Give your kids information to understand and track their phone and data usage.
5. Protect the phone: Get a hard case, preferably personalised, and a screen protector.
6. Balance active, passive and no screen time: Support and encourage your kids in activities that don’t involve a digital device.
7. Check your child’s phone with them: Sit down with your child and take a look at recent messages, photos and internet history.
8. Establish a household technology culture: Make sure you’re a positive example.
9. Be an offline supporter: Support and encourage your kids in activities that don’t involve a device.
10. Turn off devices before bedtime: Lack of sleep can affect alertness, concentration and memory.
Source: Alannah & Madeline Foundation and Telstra