eChildhood believes that in order to successfully address the impacts of pornography, we need to take action in three areas: Prevent - Equip - Restore. The best way to equip yourself, children and teens, and community, is through education. For parents of children, these include:
INFO FOR PARENTS
- Culture Reframed Parents Program – a complete best-practice toolkit to help parents raise porn-resilient kids.
- Parents of Children by Culture Reframed. This page offers tips for foundational conversations, identifying warning signs, links for practical prevention, educational videos, suggested books, plus more.
- COMPOSE Yourself! - a practical guide to help parents respond well when they discover their young person has viewed pornography. Provided by Culture Reframed, the COMPOSE Yourself! model is adaptable for all ages.
- eSafety iParent - sections for parents of children include 6 Strategies for when your child accidentally finds pornography; what to do when someone shows your child pornography; how to talk to Under 8's about pornography; and talking to your 8-12-year-old about pornography.
- Porn Resilient Kids - equipping families for tricky conversations by Youth Wellbeing Project.
- Parenting One Click Ahead of Porn by Liz Walker.
- How to talk to your kids about pornography by Educate and Empower Kids
- Parents Protective Education Course by Safe4Kids
- Educate and Empower Kids provides resources to parents and caregivers to encourage connection and healthy relationships through love, communication, education and empowerment.
- Online Porn for advice on how to talk to your child about the risks of online porn and sexually explicit material provided from NSPCC in the UK.
- Healthy sexual behaviour in children and young people for a guide to keeping children safe, spotting warning signs and what to do if you’re worried.
- Collective Shout is a grassroots campaigns movement against the objectification of women and the sexualisation of girls. They have a range of speakers available to do presentations or workshops for conferences, schools or community groups.
- Facts and research about the impacts of pornography on children and young people
CHILDRENS BOOKS TO GUIDE CONVERSATIONS
- Milly's Message (children aged 5–10) by Liz Walker.
- Hamish and the Shadow Secret (children aged 8-12) by Liz Walker.
- Hayden-Reece Learns What To Do if Children See Private Pictures or Private Movies children's Book by Holly-ann Martin.
- Someone Should have told me children's book by Holly-ann Martin.
- Good Pictures, Bad Pictures children's Book by Kristen A. Jenson
- Good Pictures, Bad Pictures Jr children's Book by Kristen A. Jenson
REPORTING PORNOGRAPHIC CONTENT
- eSafety office for reporting offensive or illegal content in Australia.
- Netsafe to make a complaint about content that you think is objectionable in New Zealand.
Know of resources suitable for parents of children that address pornography? Please let us know.